Hollingworth Primary School | Local Offer
page-template-default,page,page-id-1440,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.7,vc_responsive

Slide Local Offer

The school creates an inclusive environment; we have a policy within the school of caring for all our children.  Every child at some time in their school life may need special educational help for any number of reasons.  The staff are aware of this and are able to seek help and guidance on how to deal with problems as and when they occur.  These may be emotional, behavioural, learning or related to a medical problem.  If at any time you have concerns about your child in any way, do come into school and share your concern with your child’s teacher.

Following this our special needs co-ordinator, Mrs. Douse, is also available to discuss any issues relating to SEN.

1.      How does Hollingworth Primary School know if children need extra help

We know when pupils need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child.
  • Limited progress is being made.
  • There is a change in the pupil’s progress or behaviour.


2.      What should I do if I think that my child has Special Education Needs?

Every child at some time in their school life may need special educational help for any number of reasons.  If you have concerns about your child then come into school and share your concern with the class teacher.


3.      How will Hollingworth Primary School support my child?

  • Each pupil’s education will be planned by the class teacher. It will be differentiated according to the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistants in the class.
  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of learning such as spelling, handwriting, literacy or numeracy skills then they may be placed in a small group where specific interventions are given. These will be run by the teacher, teaching assistant or practitioners within the school. The interventions will be regularly reviewed to ensure effectiveness and inform future planning. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to make an appointment with the class teacher.
  • Pupil progress meeting are held termly. This is a meeting where the class teacher discusses the progress of all pupils with the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher. These meetings may indicate further support for some pupils.
  • Occasionally pupils may need assessing or we may need to seek advice from an outside agency such as Speech and Language or an Educational Psychologist. A referral will be completed with your support and consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency.
  • Staff access relevant training as part of their professional development so support children’s needs.


4.      How will learning be matched to my child’s needs?

  • If a child has been identified as having a Special Educational Need, they may have an Individual Education (IEP) or a plan which shows additional support or interventions that they may be accessing. These will be set up and shared with you by the class teacher. Targets will be discussed and set according to their need. These will be monitored, amended and discussed with you. Copies of these targets will be given to you and your child.
  • If appropriate, specialist resources or dispensations may be given to the pupil, e.g. writing slopes, coloured vision rulers, pencil grips, concentration cushions coloured overlays, visual timetables, additional time or somebody to scribe for them.
  • Reasonable access arrangements may be arranged where appropriate following the DfE Assessment and Reporting Arrangements for children taking tests or SATs.


5.      How will I know how my child is doing?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at parents’ meetings held in the Autumn and Spring terms.
  • Your child’s class teacher will be available to speak to after school. Please make an appointment.
  • Appointments can be made to speak to the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) at the office.
  • If your child has an Individual Care Plan, they will be invited along with you to review your child’s statement. The meeting will give us the opportunity to set new targets and discuss how we can support each other to best meet the needs of your child.


6.      How will you help me to support my child learning?

  • At Hollingworth Primary School we aim to foster a good working partnership with parents/carers. The class teacher may suggest ways in which you can support your child and include these on an individual plan. The plan will include suggestions of how you can support your child at home.
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved, suggestions and programmes of work are normally provided and can be used at home.
  • Additional provision is overseen by our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator who is currently working towards her naSENCO award.
  • In school support staff have received training and provide support and advice for children who have dyslexia. We deliver the “Better Reading Partnership” to support children with reading difficulties.


7.      What specialist support and services are accessed by the school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies and these agencies may in some cases work with your child on the school premises.

The agencies used by the school include:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Visual Impaired team
  • Hearing impaired team
  • CLASS (Communication, Language and Autistic Spectrum Support)
  • BLISS (Behaviour Support team)
  • School Nurse
  • GP
  • Early Help Team, Parent Partnership


8.      What support will be given to my child with medical needs?

  • We adhere to our school medical policy which can be viewed on our website.
  • Where a Care Plan is required, we will work with you to formulate a plan to meet the needs of your child.
  • In the case of a medical emergency we will assess the situation and if required will not hesitate to ring 999. We will contact you immediately.
  • We currently have three members of staff who hold a certificate for “First Aid in the Workplace” and one member of staff who has completed the “Paediatric First Aid Training”.


9.      Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s special educational needs then please contact the office to make an appointment with Mrs. Douse (SENCO), Mrs. Tickle (Headteacher) or Mr. Malone (Deputy Headteacher)

Translate »